Hide and Seek is a familiar childhood game. The point, obviously, is for one person to search high and low for the person who is trying not to be found. Children have so much fun playing this game because of the fun that comes from the anticipation of finding the one who is hidden. Similarly, what joy it is to seek after the Lord in order to experience all that comes in relationship to Him.
As your children come to know the Lord as their personal Savior, you’ll want to talk with them about seeking after Him in all matters of life as they develop in their Christian walk. The reason we pursue God even though we have already been saved is to have a closer bond with Him. We want to know His ways and directions for our lives. A great Bible promise for children to learn is, “You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart” (Jer. 29:13).
The Lord will guide us in decisions we need to make regarding friends, school situations, family relations, and any problem that comes our way. This is an important point to bring out when discussing it with your child. She needs the confidence in knowing her Lord is with her at all times, and that He is interested in every part of her life.
Tips on Guiding Your Kids:
- Model intentional prayer and Bible study in your own lifestyle. Your relationship building with God will become evident in the eyes of your child and she’ll want to follow your lead in it.
- Share answers to prayer that you’ve received from the Lord. This will become a positive reinforcement for her to pursue answers to her own life events and share them with you. Your child will understand how seeking the Lord’s will is a very natural, enjoyable aspect of the Christian life.
- Encourage your child to journal. This is a great way for your child to note any questions or answers she is currently seeking from the Lord. Spiritual journals are private matters between God and us. Writing down answers the Lord reveals will encourage your child to continue building on a close relationship with Him.
As with other matters of educating our kids, parents must seize the moments throughout the day to teach children to seek the Lord. He delights to be in close relationship to all who know Him!
Can you do me a favor? If these ideas resonate with you, would you:
• REACT. Do something.
• RESPOND. Leave a comment on this post.
• REPOST. Repost this link on Twitter, Facebook or your blog.