Your discipleship group, at one point or another, is going to struggle with Scripture memorization – we all do. Your members will probably start out strong. They have a blank slate, a fresh start, and a new beginning to something they are excited about. They’ll come in the first couple of weeks with a rock-solid grasp on what you are memorizing together. But then you’ll notice that it will start to taper. Their schedules fill up. They have unexpected emergencies. Or they simply don’t make time for it. If this lines up with your experience at all, know that you are far from alone. Thankfully, you can take steps ahead of time to help group members improve Scripture memorization and avoid these common pitfalls.
Scripture Memorization Tips and TricksFor every believer, memorizing God’s Word is a foundational spiritual discipline. Both the Old and New Testaments explain the benefits of memorizing Scripture:
- Keeps you from sin (Psalm 119:11)
- Transforms your thinking (Romans 12:2)
- Equips you to share your testimony (1 Peter 3:15)
- Provides direction for your life (Psalm 119:105)
- Produces spiritual growth (Acts 20:32)
- Equips you to fight temptation (Matthew 4:3-4)